Who Should I Tell About The Death?

Informing the right people

Family and friends will want to know about the death and will need to know when and where the funeral will take place. We can place a notice in your local newspaper and online giving all the required information.

Most local councils run a service called Tell Us Once - it lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.

The registrar will tell you about using Tell Us Once and give you a unique reference number to access the service. Tell us once will notify:

  • HM Revenue And Customs (HMRC) - To deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department For Work And Pensions (DWP) - To cancel benefits, eg income support
  • Driver And Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - To cancel a driving licence
  • Passport Office - To cancel a passport
  • The Local Council - To cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register

What Documents Do I Need To Take To The Registrar?

  • The Medical Certificate Of Cause Of Death (Normally Issued By The GP Or Hospital Doctor) Is Absolutely Necessary
  • If you have them readily available, it is also worth taking the deceased's Medical Card and Birth Certificate

Other People And Organisations You May Need To Inform Could Include:

  • Any hospital the deceased was attending
  • The deceased's GP
  • The deceased's employer
  • Car insurance company – people driving a car insured in the deceased's name are not legally insured
  • Gas, electricity, telephone companies, Royal Mail Deliveries, local newsagent if appropriate
  • Accountant
  • Bank and building society
  • Pension fund administrators - This could be the employer's personnel department in the case of an occupational pension
  • You May Need To Return the Deceased's Passport, Driving Licence, Car Registration Documents, Memberships Cards And National Insurance Papers which must all be returned to the relevant offices. It is a good idea to take photocopies of these documents before returning the originals.
  • Check for any library books that might need returning.
  • Any N.H.S. Equipment will need to be returned to either the hospital or health centre from where it came.

Get in touch

We serve families throughout the North East of England, please contact us to discuss how we may be of assistance.

0/5 (0 Reviews)